Monday, April 9, 2018

Oops I did it again

I got a message on Ancestry DNA late last week from someone who was managing a DNA test for a match to my cousin whose kit I manage. It isn't that great of a match, only 69 cM, but he was wondering if I could help him find/confirm his rumored father.

Ugh, I wasn't so sure, but I took a look, and noticed a strong connection to one family branch, the Pyburn's and the Chitty's. Well, that leads me only to Benjamin Jacob Pyburn and Mary Jane Chitty, my cousin's great grandparents. So I knew that some of those branches weren't full as far down, so I worked on it yesterday and a little today.

And I found it. I found the connection, from looking at shared matches and the name in their tree, the same surname of the rumored father. But the tree was blank. Which meant I had to use what she had listed two great grandparents and go forward. So I did, and found not much, so I went to the newspaper sites. Zilch on Newspaper.com, same with Newspaperarchive.com, but genealogybank.com came up with a zinger, it confirmed the marriage of two surnames, Deer and Dever. I was looking for Dever.

So then I searched for the parents names, and I found Betty Dever, born Jordan, whose obit mentioned Buddy Jordan. I knew he was in my tree, he was one I worked on, but I didn't find anything on his sister Betty, until I found her obit, and viola, I now have a tree for this young man, somewhat incomplete on the unrelated lines, but pretty far back on the others.

On a side note, there are folks who doubt that Teresa Rubena Innerarity was a Pyburn, but her daughters are living with her half sister after her death. Also I noticed something on the mysterious Phoebe, it is a name carried pretty strongly in some of Jacob Pyburn and Diadema Stapleton's oldest daughters descendants. I think that she was influential in Jacob's life as was his Aunt Mary Pyburn Collins.

I also am pretty convinced, because the names are so similar to the other children's names, that James Miller the second husband of Nicy Pyburn Fleming was married to the unknown daughter of Jacob and Diadema, and that the widower and widow married afterwards, and had three children, only one of whom had children Julia Miller.


2 comments:

  1. You are pretty amazing at finding these missing or lost people in others lives. I have some cousins that need your help if you have time. I have done what I can but don't have the ability to help them further than just matching with known Morris or McCurdy kids. I feel so bad for people that don't know where they come from if they want to know that. Thank you for sharing and I know that you helped another person find their roots :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My great-great-great grandmother was Lydia Virginia (Gennie) Temples, Bryant. She and her husband owned a large amount of land that is now Sandersville and Sharon, Mississippi. She had dealings with Talking Warrior. She also went to Oklahoma with the Choctaw. She was banned from the tribe for some reason (a man, outlaw, named Thomas McCauley). She left the tribe with him and went to Georgia where she met Thomas Cleveland Bryant. They moved to Mississippi where he bought 191 acres of land at Sharon. She is buried at Green Cemetary in Sharon, MS with 8 more Choctaw Indians. Does anyone out there have any info on her. Her son Sylvester Bryant tried to enroll and was refused because she never told them anything. My email is jackieyag@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete