Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Holy Hale... What a mess!

It's not that I haven't spent much time on my maternal great grandmother's ancestor's, it's just not the same intensity I have some of my Dad's side. First, it's in England, which can be a pain. It has taken me 20 years to figure out not just the parish thing, but to realize that there are I am not sure, hamlet's, villages, what you call them, but places that people are from in the Shire and Parish!

So, with my grandmother's sister's DNA matches, I have been working on some of the road blocks. For this blog, it's the Hale family. So I know Rosannah Hale born around 1813 in Oldbury or Rowley Regis is my ancestor. She's my grandmother's great great grandmother. But, I couldn't (I have since I found the other's on this blog) find a baptism. I was at a loss.

So I looked at someone in common with my great Aunt descended from Rosannah Hale and their shared matches, (none of them  Timmins by the way), one was a Hale, and her daughter. I was like OMG! So then I looked at in common matches to her, because, no, they don't have a tree. I found two more Hale ancestor's in common in this group, sisters who were illegitimate and born in Oldbury. Elizabeth and Hannah Hale. I reached out to them. I also found someone from another person who was illegitimate, who is matching, and is most likely a grandson of a James Hale (which hours of research using free BMD and ancestry was also the ancestor of the Hale we were matching).

James Hale in the various records states he was born in Oldbury, but then Whiteheath Gate. So Whiteheath gate is a 3/4 mile square-ish part of Oldbury. There is a great little book about the area here.  So then I started looking at that specific area in the 1841 census, which is a little hard because turns out, part of it is in one shire and the other in another. Because part of Whiteheath gate is  in the parish of Halesowen, and the other was in Rowley Regis parish and then Oldbury. Don't ask, I still have trouble. James Hale ends up in an area just off Portway Rd, about a mile away on Langley Green Rd in 1841 is an Esther Hale. Esther is a bit older than James and Rosannah. (Census shows her 1811, but her baptism is actually in 1807). Esther had an illegitimate son, Thomas Hale in 1831. Now, Esther is my pick for mother of Elizabeth and Hannah, though, to be honest, there may be another child, because evidently, Esther's parents didn't baptize anyone in the Church of England after 1807, and since Oldbury area has a lot of non-conformist (that's not Church of England for you Americans), which have missing records, it's been impossible to find anything.

So Esther was married in the Quinton parish Church, and that record shows her father as John Hale, a tailor. Quinton Church covered the area of Warley Wignon, and it looks like part of Langley Green.  Esther shows her place of birth as Whiteheath Gate also. The only other Hale to name that. So I was like, okay, we are going with this, but I needed more information. So I purchased the transcriptions of the parish records for Tipton, Rowley Regis and Halesowen parishes online. Going through it I found, Rosannah Hail, daughter of John and Nancy Hail, a tailor, age about 19 years living in Warley Wignon baptized in 1831. I also found baptisms for a Thomas and Esther children of John and Nancy Hale. Thomas Hale is the one who married Honor Hodgetts but dies within 2 years, and apparently has no children. Based on all the other baptisms and records between the two parishes, (Tipton not included), it looks like John had a wife, Sarah, prior to Nancy. She died in 1800 and is mentioned as the wife of John in Rowley Regis Parish. Prior to 1800, everything Hale related is in the Halesowen parish.

So I have been able to put together a tree, finally, for Rosannah Hale. Now, Ancestry is not my favorite DNA company because shared matches can be incidental/coincidental, and not valid as a family match, because you can't triangulate them. However, since I can do a papertrail on this one, I am satisfied that in this case, the incommon matches, which aren't that many, and share the same trees are in fact the relationship.

Joseph Hale  married Sarah Birch married 1757, father of John Hale who married Sarah Stringer then Nancy unknown.

John and Nancy had
Thomas Hale, born 1805, died 1827.
Esther Hale born 1807 died 1881, she may be the mother of Hannah Hale b. 1825 Elizabeth Hale b. around 1831, she is the mother of Thomas Hale born prior to October 1831.
Rosannah Hale born about 1812-1813 died 1876
James Hale born about 1818 and died 1874.

It looks like the other children of Joseph are related to the various Hales in and around Oldbury that I have researched in the past, including Samuel Hale and Emmanuel Hale. Nancy Hale age 70 was living on Spon Lane in Smethwick and is buried by the Rowley Regis parish in 1844. I cannot find anything on a death for John Hale.

No comments:

Post a Comment