Monday, February 22, 2021

Clues on Mary Douglas

Mary Douglas, my grandmother's great grandmother has been a mystery forever. She has birthplace given as Canada and Clinton County, NY. We have a lot of cousin's from the Paxton's who have tested now on ancestry, so I thought I would give it a look again. There has been three different "clusters" of matches within the Paxton cousins that match each other. I spent the weekend working on them. The Douglas matches all link back to either a Reuben Douglas, John Douglas or Elizabeth Douglas. All of these have lower Canada in common, Missisquoi specifically. There is a Robert Douglass there in 1825. Now most people have this Robert the same as a later Robert who is there in 1842. The second Robert is 12 years younger than the first. So I took the older children, which included a John and a Reuben (from notorial records and the 1825 census) and built a tree with that seperate, merging the John who goes to Jefferson County, and adding Elizabeth (based on the 1825 census this is probable). I also did a spreadsheet on the 1825 Douglass's. There are three different groupings. De Lery is the widow of Nathaniel Douglas Sr who died in 1821 and his two sons. Sherington is the other children of Nathaniel Douglas Sr from his first wife. Lacole is the family group of Robert Douglas.

 

The other two surnames are from the children of George Cameron and his wife, Hannah Blanchard. Because his wife is born of immigrants later than the birth of Mary Douglass, I focused on George. All we know is George is a son of an Alexander Cameron who was likely born in lower Canada. This match includes others from this line, but it is important to note, my great aunt, my mother, myself, my cousin and my daughter all share a segment intact with the mother, cousin, daughter, son of this family. Alexander Cameron, born in 1804, would be the son of a mother roughly same age as Robert Douglass' wife. The remaining matches come from the children of an Alexander Charter whose wife was Mary. Alexander Charter was in St. Martine about 30 miles away. Alexander Charter' wife would be roughly the same age as the wife of Robert Douglass. So for now, Father Theory in my tree has two unknown daughter's with the last name theory, and Mary Unknown. We will see if this leads us anywhere or not. Will keep you posted. Oh by the way, I picked George Douglass as the father of Mary. Not because I have any proof, but because she named a son George Benjamin.

No comments:

Post a Comment