Monday, February 22, 2021

The Paxton Family a Breakthrough

For what seems like forever, we did not know much on Benjamin Paxton. We knew who he said his parents were and he was born in either Birminghamshire or Oxfordshire. My great aunt's DNA has helped solve all of that. Well that and a plethora of Paxton cousins who have also tested. First I was able to figure out that Benjamin's father William had a second family and resided in King County, Ontario. His second wife's maiden name was Bryan's and that must be how Benjamin got the last name of Brown. A burial for Mary Paxton, daughter of William Paxton and Mary Adams in Quebec, and then the death of Mary Paxton wife of William in Quebec led me to that discovery. Recently I started looking into a match of 107 cM. Turns out he is my great Aunt's 3rd cousin once removed from the Paxton family. I was able to trace Benjamin Paxton to Finmere, in Oxfordshire. He was a grandson of Richard Paxton and Rachel Butler. I found a marriage for William Paxton in Hertsfordshire to a Mary Adams. The distance bothered me a lot, but there is 1. No William's in the area prior to the marriage 2. William is listed as a widowerer. I then found a marriage of William Paxton to Sarah Adams and her death in 1820 in Tingewick, Buckinghamshire. A post on a genealogy group let me know that at this time (1820) it was voidable to marry a spouses's sister. Thus the marriage at great distance (50 miles) makes more sense. So, I built a tree for Mary Adams, daughter of Thomas Adams and Elizabeth Winmell. We have thrulines now, so I believe this is the final answer on the family. The Paxton's were yeomen in Finmere for several centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment