Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Hardy Family- Part 4 Shep Jr and his family

William Sheppard Hardy Jr married Talula Johnson. According to my great grandmother, Talula was a "Diamond/Johnson bastard baby." My Aunts took it that she didn't care for her too much. However, I don't quite understand the hatred. Talula died in 1910 when my great grandmother was 15 years old. And while the family may have visited, the Hardy family lived in Baldwin County, Alabama, and she lived in Jay.

Before I discuss the family, I want to give a bit of information on Talula. Talula was born in 1862 to William Washington Johnson. We know that William's parents were William Burton Johnson and Elizabeth Parker from well documented sources. William is always living with his mother, but his wives or relationships leave me scratching my head. In 1850 he is living with a Nancy who has children Sarah, James and Lewis Johnson in Conecuh County. (there is a suggestion that these are mulatto children, but in this census they are white). In 1860 he is living with Elizabeth, and a daughter Elizabeth age 3, also in Conecuh County. In 1870 we find him with Nancy, and children Elizabeth age 11 and Talula age 7. In 1880, he is with a Mary and a son Willie S age 5.

I know that Mary Johnson, William W. Johnson's sister married John Diamond. At her death, John married her sister Matilda. We know that John Diamond is related to the Conecuh county Diamonds even if we aren't sure how. The question then remains, since the Nancy in 1850 is different in age than the Elizabeth in 1860, whose different in age then the Nancy in 1870, who is Talula's mother, and is she also a Diamond? Given their location, I can't rule out that the only connection to the Diamond family is the marriage to John Diamond.

William Sheppard Hardy Jr worked in the logging business. I have yet to find his death date, but his granddaughter told me he didn't die in Alabama or Florida, but in Mississippi, presumably near where all the rest of the family was living and working. When Talula died, Shep Jr married Mary Grice, who according to the granddaughter, didn't treat the younger kids well at all. Mary lived in and died in Brewton, Alabama where she is buried. The couple had no living children.

The children of William Sheppard Hardy Jr and Talula Johnson are

Houston Benjamin Hardy who married a Kinslett and then Lois Lucy Paul.
Houston had a daughter Leila by his first wife, and by his second wife he had Shepard Clyde Hardy, Eldred Morgan Hardy, Mary Hardy, Homer Hardy, and Barbara Tellura Hardy.

One of Houston's granddaughters, Dorothy Faye Hardy is a lovely lady who I spoke with on the phone. I found out that the family did keep in touch back in the 1940's.

Sarah Mattie Hardy who married Bolden Green Taylor. The family lived near Bayminette, Alabama where they are buried. The children of Sarah Mattie and Bolden are Floyd G Taylor, Maurice Jordan Taylor, Thomas T Taylor, Vella Lee "Babe" Taylor, Marie Taylor, Hazel Taylor, Eunice Alice Taylor, Annette Taylor, Bolden Taylor Jr, and Harris Eugene Taylor.

After trial and error, I have been able to make contact with one of Sarah's granddaughters. One of my grandpa's cousins remembered several of the girls, but they lost contact in the 1950's or 1960's.

Lela F. Viola Hardy married Alma Eldridge Chute. The family lived in Mississippi before moving to Georgia. Lela and Alma Chute had the following children Joseph Herman Chute, Sadie Eunice Chute, Vernon James Chute, William Orrin Chute, Gayle Marie Chute, and Woodrow Chute.

I have been able to make contact with a grandchild of Lela Hardy.

Robert Morgan Hardy is my great grandfather. He married Lula Bell Pyburn and had four children, Virgina Evelyne Hardy, Dorothy Gene Hardy, Milton Oliver Hardy and Robert Burns Hardy. Robert Burns Hardy was killed when his ship was bombed during World War 2. His brother Milton, a marine, had just left the ship and watched it happen. Milton and Robert Hardy each had one daughter, and I have been in contact with each. Dorothy Hardy is still living, and I am in contact with her children and grandchildren. Virginia Hardy had 6 children, 3 of them are still living.

Jodie Price Hardy married Aldine Gore. The family moved from Mississippi to Georgia. I was contacted by her grandchildren several years ago. Jodie and Aldine's children are Mildred Ethel Gore, Willie Morgan Gore, Maude Elaine Gore, Verna Aldine Gore, and Cecil Kade Gore.

Willie "Burnzy" Hardy married Vera Agnes Harvison. Like his father he was involved in the logging industry in Mississippi and Alabama. His children were Myrtle Louise Hardy, Myrtis Voncille Hardy, William Sheppard Hardy and Bernice Hardy. I have been in contact with one of his grandchildren.

Iva Lee Hardy was married more than once, but I only know the name of one, Sidney Lamar Summer Sr. I know that they divorced, and that they had two sons, Sidney Lamar Summer Jr, who has one daughter, and Albion Fernando Summer Sr, whose only son died. Albion Fernando Summer Sr, better known as A.F. Summers was the Attorney General for Mississippi during the Civil rights movement. He is the most well known of the family. I asked an attorney friend if he could tell  me which side he defended during the Civil Rights movement, and all he could say is "he was a good guy", meaning he was for Civil Rights.

I have been in contact with the granddaughter of Iva Lee Hardy.

Adren Fleming Hardy, sometimes spelled Adrian died in World War 1 in the trenches in France.

Emma Mable Hardy married Melvin West and lived her adult life in Mississippi. I know that my grandmother and her parents visited annually, because for the last few years, I was fortunate enough to have spoken with her daughter before her death, Iva Gray. She was a wonderful lady. The children of Emma Mable and Melvin were Melvin West Jr, Iva Gray West, Peggy West, and Adrian Lamar West.

As far as I know, a few years ago there were 4 or 5 of the cousins (my grandmother's generation) left, but I believe now, we have only my Aunt Dot, and maybe her cousin Annette. I am so grateful that I took the time to call and speak to as many of these ladies (for that's what they were) before they died.





No comments:

Post a Comment