Monday, September 29, 2014

A Daughter of the American Revolution

Okay, I will admit it. I am just too lazy to apply to the DAR.

That said, when I started on this genealogical journey. I don't think I gave a thought to the history of my ancestors. I know it never occurred to me that I would have ancestors who fought in the American Revolution.

Over the years, this is a list of my relatives who I have found who have applications among the DAR.

Corliss Hinds Conneticut
David Bent Conneticut
Evans Long Virginia
Ripley Copeland NC/SC

And those who have American Rev records or were in the militia.
Jesse Baker SC
Dauswell Rogers VA
Benjamin Merrill NC
Several of the Brunsons, though I don't know if they are my direct ancestor, and there remains for me the question of Elijah Owens as a soldier.

I also have probable loyalists and/or Tories
Jacob Pyburn VA
William Riddle VA

My Traherns were never in the American Revolution, War of 1812 or the Civil War, whereas my Pyburn's participated in both the War of 1812 and the Civil War. Over 25 percent of the Brunson and Franklin kinfolk did not return from the Civil War, though I find no records that they fought in the 1812. The McCurdy's fought in the War of 1812, the Florida Indian Wars and the Civil War. And there are many families I just can't find enough data on (all mainly from South Carolina) to determine if they participated or not.

The short story, most of my family history is deeply routed in the history of America. Not that that isn't true for many of us, it was just something I never quite considered.


No comments:

Post a Comment